John Gurr has a commercial practice with a particular speciality in major infrastructure, resources and construction projects, both locally and internationally.
John appears as counsel in significant domestic and international commercial arbitrations, both ad hoc and under the auspices of the ICC, LCIA and IAMA. He is also regularly briefed in commercial maters in the superior courts, including industrial disputes in the construction and engineering sector.
John is listed in the peer reviewed Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in Australia 2016 in construction / infrastructure. He is also recognised in the peer reviewed Doyles Guide as a leading construction barrister in Australia (2015 & 2016) and as a pre-eminent construction barrister in Melbourne (2016).
Before coming to the Bar, John worked in the construction and engineering practice group at Deacons (now Norton Rose Fulbright) in Melbourne and Hong Kong.
Notable recent matters include:
International and domestic arbitration
- ICC arbitration before a three member panel, addressing claims in excess of $800 million arising out of a Queensland LNG pipeline project (led by Nicholas Pane QC);
- IAMA arbitration before a single member tribunal arising out of the construction of an LNG gas processing plant in Queensland (unled);
- Ad hoc arbitration before a three member panel addressing environmental and delay claims arising out of a Queensland LNG pipeline project (led by Geoff McArthur QC);
- LCIA arbitration before a three member panel in London, concerning delay and disruption claims arising out of the construction of a gas processing plant in Dubai (led by Jeff Gleeson QC);
- IAMA arbitration before a three member panel in Sydney, addressing delay and variation claims arising out of the construction of a gas-fired power station in Perth (led by John Digby QC).
- Oswal v ANZ and others, Victorian Supreme Court, for Chemical Holdings (led by Rachel Doyle SC), see, e.g.  VSC 282;
- Boral Resources (Vic) Pty Ltd v CFMEU, Victorian Supreme Court (led by Rachel Doyle SC), see, e.g.  VSC 352;
- Director Fair Work Building Industry Inspectorate v CFMEU (the Myer Blockade Case), Federal Court, led by Rachel Doyle SC (liability hearing  FCA 225) and leading Joel Fetter (penalty hearing [2015 FCA 1213);
- BioVision 2020 Pty Ltd & Anor v CGU Insurance Limited and others, Victorian Supreme Court, for RCR Tomlinson (led by Jeff Gleeson QC);
- John Holland Pty Ltd v CFMEU, Federal Court, leading Joel Fetter, see, e.g.  FCA 1032;
- D’Aquino and others v Trovatello and others, Victorian County Court, claim in nuisance, ongoing (unled).
Download / Print John Gurr's profile.